Surveys and Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

A property is sold in its current state and condition, consequently a survey of the property is advisable if you are purchasing.

There are three levels of survey.

  • Valuation survey

If you are obtaining a mortgage, you will need a valuation survey.  This only deals with value and the price.  It does not deal with the structure of the property. 

  • Home buyer survey

In addition to a valuation this survey gives basic information about the structural integrity of the property

  • Full structural surveys

These are comprehensive and generally recommended if you are buying an older property. They are generally the most expensive and are not appropriate for flats as the surveyor is obliged to inspect the whole building, not just the flat you are purchasing.

You should discuss the most suitable type of survey with your surveyor. No matter what survey is undertaken you should advise the surveyor about any particular points of concern before the survey.  The survey will not give any information about the boiler and electrics.  Enquiries should be made of the seller or a service undertaken in respect of these and other matters.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs). 

These inform potential buyers about the energy performance of a building.  They can then decide whether to improve that performance and how to go about it.  We do not give advice on these certificates.

If you would like further clarification or assistance, call us for free and without obligation.

Please telephone and speak to one of our property lawyers for free on 0800 037 1625 or fill in the online form to request a call back and someone will ring you within 24 hours

You can access any of our conveyancing lawyers at any of our offices spread throughout Surrey, Hampshire and Greater London including Kingston upon Thames, Bordon, Cheam, Canary Wharf, Leatherhead, Raynes Park, Surbiton, Tolworth or Walton on Thames.