If you have had an accident, whether it be at work or in a public place and suffered an injury, it is important to gather and preserve evidence that will help with any claim. Here are our top tips:
- If you have had an accident at work, report the accident to a supervisor or manager and make sure an entry is put in your employer’s accident book.
- If you have had an accident in a public place, report the accident to the owner of the premises or a manager and make sure an entry is put in the accident book.
- Before signing any accident report, check what has been written carefully and ensure the accident circumstances and details of your injuries are correct.
- Ask for a copy of the accident report. Your employer or the manager may say no, if they say no, make a note of your request and their response. We can request a copy for you.
- Take photographs of the accident location and any visible injuries.
- If there is any CCTV footage, request a copy and request that the footage is retained.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible and make a note of the first date on which you sought medical attention.
- If you have had an accident at work, speak to any colleagues who may have witnessed the accident to see if they are able to support your version of events.
- If you have had an accident in a public place, speak to anyone who may have witnessed the accident to see if they are able to support your version of events and obtain their name and contact details.
- Keep any receipts in respect of any expenses you may have incurred as a result of the accident including prescriptions, parking charges, damaged clothing and any treatment costs.
- Keep a diary of events including how your injuries are progressing, what care and assistance you require and what impact your injuries are having on your home, social and working life.
Our Personal Injury team are experienced in accident claims. If you or a member of your family has been injured as a result of an accident at work or in a public place, contact our Personal Injury team today for a telephone conversation or a free, preliminary meeting.
Chloe Baxter, Solicitor in the Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence team.